Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is school social work?
    School social work is a specialized area of practice within the social work profession. School social workers link the school, home, and community to help students succeed. They work directly with school administrations to provide leadership in forming school discipline policies, mental health intervention, crisis management, and support services.
  2. What are the state of Michigan requirements for becoming a school social worker?
    • Master of Social Work (MSW) degree
    • 500 clock hours at internship working with families or children or 500 clock hours post MSW working with families or children
    • Three courses are required: SW 873, SW 874, and SW 875
  3. What are the steps to become a fully approved school social worker?
  4. How can I achieve this at Michigan State University?
    The MSU School of Social Work offers several options toward meeting the School Social Worker requirements and qualifying for a recommendation for temporary approval (310) as a school social worker in Michigan.
    • Current MSU MSW students may apply for the School Social Work Certificate Program
    • MSW graduates may take the courses through our Continuing Education department
    • Take the three required courses, SW 873, SW 874, and SW 875 and meet internship requirements
    • A combination of for-credit courses (SW873, SW874 & SW875) and CE courses (CE473, CE474 & CE475) is acceptable.
  5. What is required upon completion of the School Social Work requirements?
    The MSU School of Social Work requires this application to be completed by all MSU students whether you are in the certificate program or not. If you are a graduate of another university in the State of Michigan, you will need to apply with that university.