Student Advocates for Basic Needs Security (SABNS) is a Registered Student Organization within Michigan State University. It is open to currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students from all disciplines across the university.
Unfortunately, homelessness and the struggle to meet basic needs does not end once a student arrives at college. SABNS will work with MSU's on and off campus resources to raise awareness and support the needs of students related to housing, food, and basic care items.
SABNS will advocate on behalf of students for the equitable distribution and practice of providing for the basic needs of students. Basic needs as it relates to this purpose are defined as affordable housing, access to healthy food options, and access to the hygiene and other resources that contribute to student success.
Momentum will continue from last year’s Homeless Awareness Event with an improved event that highlights individuals who work with homeless, transient, and food insecure students on MSU’s campus. MSU Grad Sac and Phi Alpha will also raise funds to award scholarships to four students as identified by MSU community program leaders (one from FAME, CAMP, MSU Student Parent Resource Center, and TRIO) to assist with their basic needs support.
Panelists will include
- Senator Curtis Hertel Jr. - Senator for District 23, MSU's Senate District
- Representative Julie Brixie - House Rep for District 69 including MSU
- Kim Steed Page - Director of MSU Student Parent Resource Center*
- Nicole Edmonds - Director, MSU Student Food Bank
- Andrea Martineau - Director, FAME Program*
*Panelist will be accompanied by student with direct experience
Donations to support the Student Basic Needs Scholarship can be made online at www.kidsturningcorners.com/contribute. You can also donate by mailing a check to Kids Turning Corners, Inc, 2875 Northwind Drive, Suite 215, East Lansing, MI 48824. All donations are fully tax-deductible.
Download the Student Advocates for Basic Needs Security constitution.
- VisionTo raise awareness, to incentivize the work and investment of stakeholders, and educate faculty, students, and community members about the prevalence of student homelessness and food insecurity for University students
- MissionTo provide a resource fair, speakers panel, community champion award, and scholarships to students in the spirit of providing for students' basic needs.