The MSW Advocacy Scholars Program is now accepting applications for the 2018-2019 academic year.
Do you want to...
- Learn how government works and how you can affect it?
- Work in communities to help solve social problems?
- Advocate for rights, fair laws, and more just social policies?
- Contribute to local and international efforts to help our poorest citizens?
- Learn how to be an effective advocate for social change?
ADVOCACY SCHOLARS will:
- Receive a $5000 scholarship, which is renewable for a second year of study.
- Complete a field placement in an agency with an advocacy focus.
- Interact with social program and governmental officials.
- Participate in a seminar series led by policy advocacy leaders from diverse backgrounds.
- Receive individualized mentoring on education and career development from faculty members with related experience.
- Take advanced coursework in social activism and policy advocacy skills.
We are creating this program to provide cutting-edge training for the next generation of change agents dedicated to helping society solve difficult social problems. MSU School of Social Work faculty members possess a wealth of expertise in policy advocacy. With our close access to the State Capitol, ongoing relationships with over 500 social service agencies (both government and nonprofit advocacy organizations), leadership in new technology, and small class sizes, the School of Social Work is uniquely positioned to prepare you for effective advocacy practice.
Incoming 2018 MSW students and current MSW students with at least one year remaining are eligible to apply
The Advocacy Scholars seminar series for Academic Year 2017-18 includes an impressive line-up of policy advocacy leaders from diverse backgrounds:
- 10/18/2017 - AMY ZAAGMAN - Executive Director of the Michigan Council for Maternal and Child Health
- 11/08/2017 - GHIDA DAGHER - Advocacy & Government Relations Manager, United Way for Southeastern Michigan
- 12/06/2017 - DAVID D. FUKUZAWA - Managing Director of Kresge's Health and Human Services Programs
- More to come soon!
Here's the lineup of Advocacy Scholars seminar series speakers from 2016-2017.
- 09/22/16 - PAUL ELAM, President of Public Policy Associates
- 10/27/16 - GILDA JACOBS, President/CEO, Michigan League for Public Policy & former MI Representative
- 11/10/16 - STEPHANIE CHANG, MSW, current MI Representative
- 01/19/17 - RASHIDA TLAIB, Manager of TAKE ON HATE advocacy campaign & Community Partnerships & Development Director for Sugar Law Center
- 02/23/17 - LONNIE SCOTT, Executive Director of Progress Michigan
- 03/23/17 - ROSALYNN BLISS, MSW, Mayor of Grand Rapids
- 04/13/17 - KAREN KAVANAUGH, MSW, Director of the Drug Safety Project, Pew Charitable Trusts
To learn more, contact Dr. Sacha Klein [734-985-0548 or email@example.com] or see the application instructions on our Advocacy Scholars Program flyer. Your applications to both the MSW and the ADVOCACY SCHOLARS Program must be received by January 10, 2018.