MSW Home > Apply to MSW Program
Apply to the MSW Program for 2018Applications open: September 1, 2017
(PLEASE NOTE: Applications started prior to September 1 will not be considered)
Deadline for submission: January 10, 2018
To complete the application process you need to:
- Complete an online application. (PLEASE NOTE: You may save your application and return to it later. However, once you have submitted your application and paid the application fee your application will be locked! Make sure your information is complete before final submission. Only start ONE online application and use the link above to return to your saved application.)
- Upload required documents through the graduate education student portal.
- Request an official copy of your transcripts be sent via email to email@example.com or mailed to:
School of Social Work
655 Auditorium Road
239 Baker Hall
East Lansing, MI 48824
An official copy is one that is generated by the institution and submitted in a sealed envelope by the institution. Unofficial transcripts submitted by the applicant will not be accepted. Applicants with a bachelor’s degree from MSU (or who are expecting one by May) do not need to submit transcripts.
- Log in to the student portal regularly to view your application status and read any application-related messages. (PLEASE NOTE: The applicant is responsible for making sure all information is complete and required documents are uploaded in a timely manner. There are no email reminders about missing information.)
International applicants must review the additional requirements on the International Admissions page.
To complete the online application you will need the following information.
- First Semester to Enroll
- If you are applying to a Regular MSW option other than Statewide Blended, select Fall semester
- If you are applying to an Advanced Standing option, select Summer semester
- If you are applying to Statewide Blended Regular or Advanced Standing options, select Summer semester
- Major preference – The School of Social Work options are under the College of Social Science
- If you applying to a Regular Clinical option, select 4493 – Clinical Social Work (MSW) – (Masters)
- If you are applying to a Regular Organization and Leadership option, select 7724 – Organization & Community Leadership (MSW) – (Masters)
- If you are applying to an Advanced Standing Clinical option, select 4502 – Clinical Social Work – Advanced Standing – (Masters)
- If you are applying to an Advanced Standing Organization and Leadership option, select 7723 – Organization & Community Leadership – Advanced Standing – (Masters)
- A personal statement - Your personal statement should include information about how your background and life experiences, including social, economic, cultural, familial, educational, or other opportunities or challenges motivated you to pursue a graduate degree. Please limit your statement to 500 words. You may enter your statement directly into the application form or upload as a separate document through the student portal.
- An academic statement –A concise academic statement of your plans for graduate study, your career goals, and how MSU’s graduate program will help you meet your career and educational objectives. In particular address the following questions. Please limit your statement to 500 words. You may enter your statement directly into the application form or upload as a separate document through the student portal.
- What do you consider the critical issues in the field of Social Work?
- What are your aspirations in the field of social work? How will an MSW education help you reach your goals and aspirations?
- How have you prepared to integrate yourself into graduate school and a professional role as a social worker?
- Describe how you have pursued volunteer activities, work experiences or leadership of student organizations that were specifically related to reducing social, educational or economic disparities on race, ethnicity, gender or to improving race relations?
- Departmental questions
- Area(s) of interest – select which program options you would like to apply to.
- If you are applying to a joint degree, select one. (PLEASE NOTE: You must apply to the Law School or the School of Public Health separately).
- Indicate which, if any, of our certificate or scholars programs you are interested in. (PLEASE NOTE: Applications made before acceptance into the MSW program will not be considered).
Log on to the student portal to complete the following:
- Register three recommenders. Recommenders will be sent instructions electronically and submit letters directly through the online system.
- Letters should be professional reflecting prior academic or work experience (paid or volunteer).
- Advancing Standing applicants must have one letter from your prior field practicum supervisor.
- Upload the following documents:
- Criminal Background Statement of Understanding (click here for information on MSU’s criminal background policy)
- Liberal Arts Form
- A résumé
- For Statewide Blended Regular applicants the Regular Additional Requirements Form (upload as a Supplemental Application)
- For Statewide Blended Advanced Standing applicants the Advanced Standing Additional Requirements Form
- For applicants to the Weekend option the Weekend Additional Requirements Form
- Pay your $65 application fee. (NOTE: Once you have paid the fee and submitted your application you will not be able to make changes).