Students interested in the social work major: Please explore the links under Social Work Major/Career Exploration prior to making an advising appointment.
You may also want to visit the MSU Career Services Network to take a career assessment.
Advising in a professional school is an important activity. In the academic advising conference, the academic advisor reviews with the student what courses are needed to complete academic program requirements. Career advising provides students with opportunities to discuss a variety of professional topics such as career goals, aspirations, opportunities, and professional practice concerns.
The academic advisor is experienced in curriculum planning and knowledgeable about the University’s administrative structure, procedures, and resources. A primary objective of the advising conference is to enable students to maximize use of University resources to achieve their academic, career, and personal goals. However, the achievement of these goals is the responsibility of each student.
All undergraduate students receive academic advising from the School’s Undergraduate Academic Advisor. The Undergraduate Advising Office is in Room 153 Baker Hall. It is recommended that students schedule an appointment with the School of Social Work undergraduate adviser by using the online appointment system.
Click here to schedule an appointment. (Dashboard works best using google chrome as your browser)
- What is Social Work?
- Features of the BASW Program at MSU
- Careers in Social Work
- On Any Given Day, Social Workers Help (YouTube video)
- What can I do with a social work major?
- Video: The Many Faces of Social Work (6:03)
- Undergraduate Curriculum Check sheet
- StuInfo enables students to access their student account and financial aid information and link to academic information and other MSU resources
- Degree Navigator helps you and your adviser work together to manage your degree progress
- BASW Program Requirements
- Olin Health Center
- MSU Counseling Center
- Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities (RCPD)
- MSU Counseling Center Sexual Assault Program
- Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay, Transgender Resource Center