Finding Help

Information is available from the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) website on finding help for mental illnesses

If you are unsure where to go for help, ask your family doctor. Others who can help are:

  • Mental health specialists, such as psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, or mental health counselors
  • Health maintenance organizations
  • Community mental health centers
  • Hospital psychiatry departments and outpatient clinics
  • Mental health programs at universities or medical schools
  • State hospital outpatient clinics
  • Family services, social agencies, or clergy
  • Peer support groups
  • Private clinics and facilities
  • Employee assistance programs
  • Local medical and/or psychiatric societies.

You can also check the phone book under mental health, health, social services, hotlines, or physicians for phone numbers and addresses. An emergency room doctor can also provide temporary help and can tell you where and how to get further help.


More Information

More information on mental health is at the NIMH website. For the latest information on medications, see the US Food and Drug Administration website.