CDs & DVDs
Techniques that have been shown to improve children’s self-esteem, stress levels, and learning potential include breathing exercises, progressive muscle relaxation, simple stretches, affirmation, and positive visualization. Relaxation techniques can boost children's self-esteem, as well as giving them tools to cope with stress and anxiety, and anger management. Meditation is most often used as a way to reduce stress, improve self-esteem, and get rid of any negative or debilitating thoughts - leaving more room for positivity, creativity and personal growth! Mindfulness techniques have been shown to improve children’s concentration and listening skills, as well as boosting their overall levels of happiness. Therefore, CDs and DVDs (and a few books) are listed below for helping children with relaxation, meditation and mindfulness.
Suggested CDs & DVDs for Children (and a few books)
- Relaxation (download pdf)
- Tai Chi (download pdf)
- Yoga (download pdf)
- Dormoy, M. (2010). Calm & Clarity: Guided Meditations for ADHD, Hyperactive or Busy Kids! Shambala Kids.
- Dormoy, M. (2009). One with the Universe Kids's Meditation: Creative Imagery and Stress Reduction. Shambala Kids.
- MacLean, K. L. (2004). Peaceful Piggy Meditation. Morton Grove, IL: Albert Whitman & Co.
- Makarewicz-Ely, E. (2009). Positive Meditation for Children. Moran, S. (2006). Meditation for Kids Ages 6-16.
- Perry, B. (2002). Imagination: Meditations for Children.
- Sukhu, C. (2002). Guided Meditation for Children: Journey into the Elements. New Age Kids, Inc.
- Vallely, S. W. (2008). Sensational Meditation for Children: Child-Friendly Meditation Techniques Based on the Five Senses. Ashville, NC: Satya International, Inc.
- Alderfer. L. with MacLean, K. L. (2011). Mindful Monkey, Happy Panda. Summerville, MA: Wisdom Publications.
- Greenland, S. K. (2010). The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate. New York, NY: Free Press.
- Hanh, T. N. (2001). A Pebble for Your Pocket. Berkeley, CA: Plum Blossom Books
- Hanh, T. N. with Vriezen, W. (2012). A Handful of Quiet: Happiness in Four Pebbles. Berkeley, CA: Plum Blossom Books.
- Hanh, T. N. with Vriezen, W. (2008). Mindful Movements: Ten Exercises for Well-Being (includes DVD). Berkeley, CA: Parallax Press.
- Hanh, T. N. (and the Plum Village Community) with Vriezen, W. (2011). Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children. Berkeley, CA: Parallax Press.
- Saltzman, A. (2007). Still Quiet Place: Mindfulness for Young Children: Playful Practices to Promote Health and Happiness. Shambala Kids.
- Saltzman, A. (2007). Still Quiet Place: Mindfulness for Teens. Shambala Kids.
- Sukhu, C. & Van Peebles, M. (2003). Positive Thoughts for Children: An Affirmation CD for Bedtime. New Age Kids, Inc.