General • Webinars • Online Courses • Trauma Certificate
1. Who should attend your continuing education courses?
Each course listing includes a skill level box, indicating if a course is intended for a beginning, intermediate, or advanced level Master of Social Work practitioner unless otherwise indicated. In addition, Macro, Clinical, or both will be listed to identify the focus of the primary
content. Professionals practicing in human service and healthcare fields will benefit from attending programs described in this catalog. Courses have been designed for the licensed master’s-level social worker except where noted. All courses are open to LLBSWs, LBSWs, LLMSWs, and LMSWs practicing in both clinical and macro roles. The general public is invited to attend any of the programs listed in this catalog.
2. Will I earn Social Work Continuing Education Credit if I attend a program described in this catalog?
Michigan State University School of Social Work, an accredited social work education program, is authorized by the Michigan Licensure Law Administrative Rule 338.2965 to award Michigan social work continuing education contact hours. We are also an approved Michigan Social Work Continuing Education Collaborative Provider (provider #0001) for all programs through August 2020, renewed annually.
3. What are course completion requirements?
- Face-to-face or live video/audio webinars or conferences: To receive continuing education contact hours (CECHs) for programs listed in this catalog, you must arrive by the advertised starting time, and you stay until the end of the program. You must be present for the entire course or conference session and complete an evaluation. Partial credit is not allowed. For webinars, you additionally need to pass a post-test with 75% accuracy to receive credit. If you object to the program provider’s decision regarding the award of CECHs, you are entitled to file a grievance form provided by program staff upon request within two weeks of the program end date.
- On Demand Continuing Education Credit: To receive credit for an online continuing education course, you must watch the video in its entirety and complete the attendance record, evaluation, and pass a post-test with 75% accuracy. If you do not pass, you will be able to retake one additional time. Once all materials are submitted and a passing score is obtained, your certificate for the course will be made available for you to print immediately. You have access to material for the time period the class is scheduled. We are unable to offer additional CECHs for extra time you spend with the course material. These courses are ONLINE CECHs; check with your state’s social work regulatory body to see how these may count toward required CECHs. In Michigan, Social Workers may earn up to one-half of the required continuing education contact hours in person using live, synchronous contact. The remaining continuing education contact hours may be completed in any other approved format.
- School Social Work Competency Courses: Details can be found online: socialwork.msu.edu/ceu/catalog.php. The course will include readings, discussion board postings, and quizzes which must be passed by 80% overall. Once we receive your passing score and you complete a survey that will be emailed to you, you will be mailed a letter of completion within 30 days of passing the course. These courses are ONLINE CECHs; check with your state’s social work regulatory body to see how these may count toward required CECHs. In Michigan, Social Workers may earn up to one-half of the required continuing education contact hours in person using live, synchronous contact. The remaining continuing education contact hours may be completed in any other approved format.
4. How and when do I pay?
All of our in-person programs require pre-registration and payment prior to the course. You may pay by credit card at the time of your registration with our online registration system. You may fax or mail credit card information with your registration, or send a check or money order with your registration by mail. We
are unable to accept cash. Payment must be received with registration in order to reserve a space. Some programs are offered free of charge; if this is indicated, registrations will be accepted on a first-come first-serve basis. We are unable to maintain a wait list at this time. Email or call to request a receipt. Field instructor, field liaisons, and MSU School of Social Work faculty receive discount category D (see page 34) for in-person sessions and webinars only. Retirees are defined as individuals who are no longer employed.
5. If I need to cancel, can I get a refund?
If you cancel by faxing or mailing in a refund request form (available at socialwork.msu.edu/CE
under “Forms” or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
to obtain) at least one week prior to the course start date, you will receive a refund less a 20% administrative fee. Cancellations and requests for refunds received after this time are not eligible for a refund. In the event the MSU School of Social Work cancels an event, you will receive a FULL refund.
6. Do you send a confirmation for my registration?
If you provide an email address, you will receive a confirmation email one week prior to the event for which you have registered, delivered to the email address provided. We cannot guarantee you are registered for a program unless you receive an email confirmation from email@example.com
or you contact us to verify confirmation. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
or call (517)353-3060
7. How do I request an accommodation?
Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services, and activities. Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by writing the request on the registration form on page 34, or including the request when registering online, or by contacting us at email@example.com; include “Accommodations request” in the subject line, or call (517) 353-3060
at least two weeks prior to the program start date. Requests received after this date will be honored whenever possible. Accommodations may also include dietary requests and lactation accommodations.
8. When will certificates be issued?
Certificates of attendance will be awarded to individuals upon request provided the individual’s account is paid in full and all required continuing education documentation is completed. In most cases for face-to-face programs this will be at the completion of training or within four weeks of the training.
9. Can I request a duplicate certificate?
Yes. Download the Duplicate Certificate Request form. There is a $10 charge for replacement or duplicate certificates, and they will be marked as such.
10. What is MCBAP? What does it mean when a course says “Substance Use Specific?”
MCBAP: Michigan Certification Board for Addiction Professionals. The language “Substance Use Specific” means that the course meets the requirements of MCBAP for substance use specific content.
11. What should I wear?
Dress comfortably and in layers as each location has varied temperatures.
12. In the event of inclement weather?
It is unlikely MSU cancels an event due to weather. Call (517)353-3060; the outgoing message will provide an announcement if an event is cancelled. An email will also be sent to the email address provided.
13. How can I join your mailing list?
It's easy to get on our email list! Go to our front page
and find the box on the right side of the page that says "Join Our Email List Today". If you would like to be added to our USPS mailing list, just let us know.
14. How do you protect my personal and credit card information?
We automatically encrypt your confidential information in transit from your computer to ours using the Secure Sockets Layer protocol (SSL) with an encryption key length of 128-bits (the highest level commercially available).
15. Do you offer Continuing Education credits for professionals other than Social Work?
Yes! Currently, we have our three core courses that are part of our Trauma Certificate approved to provide MCOLES (Michigan Commission On Law Enforcement Standards
) and SCECHs (State Continuing Education Clock Hours
) for educators. We are also approved to designate certain courses as APT (Association of Play Therapy
). We are working to expand our ability to offer continuing education for other professionals in the future.
To earn SCECHs, participants must have 100% attendance at program offerings. Verification of attendance is required and participants must comply with the program’s attendance documentation method and complete an online evaluation that will be sent out following the program. Failure of a participant to fulfill the requirements will result in no SCECHs being awarded for that offering. Instructors and speakers may not earn SCECHs for the programs in which they are facilitating or presenting.
NOTE: All programs are scheduled on Eastern Standard Time and may be photographed and/or audio/videotaped. If you do not wish to be photographed or recorded during a face-to-face event, contact us at (517)353-3060.
1. What are the technical requirements?
To ensure the best possible Webinar experience, we encourage you to review the system requirements
and perform systems diagnostics. Here you will find information regarding the best browser to use to allow for the best webinar experience.
For all technical or connection questions, please call MSU Distance Learning Services: (local) 517-432-6200 or Toll Free: (844)-678-6200 (North America and Hawaii).
2. What are the policies for registration?
To register for a Webinar hosted by the MSU School of Social Work Continuing Education Program, visit and sign up using the online registration system
or call the MSU School of Social Work customer service line Monday through Friday 8:30 AM- 5 PM at 517-353-3060. You will receive an email with a link to the Webinar a minimum of one day before the program. If you do not receive this email, please call (517)353-3060
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
3. How do I listen to the Webinar?
You will receive the link access to the webinar 1-2 days prior to the webinar. You will need a computer/laptop with speakers. You will be in listen mode – you can hear/see the presenter(s) but they cannot hear/see you – so you do not need a mic. It is recommended that you are hardwired to an Internet connection for the best connection. If you would like to view the webinar on a mobile device, download the free Zoom App.
4. May I ask questions during the "live" Webinar?
Yes, questions may be “asked” of the presenter by typing your questions through the Q&A box. Every effort is made by the presenter to answer related questions posed by attendees given the time constraints. Contact information is provided at the end of the presentation should you have additional questions.
5. How do I earn social work continuing education contact hours (CECHs)?
You must arrive by the advertised starting time and stay until the end of the program. If you object to the program provider’s decision regarding the award of CECHs, you are entitled to file a grievance form provided by program staff upon request within two weeks of the program end date.
You must also pass a ten question post-test with 75% accuracy sent to the email address you provide during registration, within 7 days of receiving the link. Post-tests are sent out within 24 hours of the webinar ending, so if you do not receive the initial post-test at that time, please contact us. You have five days to notify us at email@example.com that you did not receive the post-test email, otherwise you forfeit your ability to earn social work continuing education credit hours. If you do not pass on the first try, a second attempt may be made following instructions emailed to you. You will receive your certificate of attendance within 30 days of completing the program.
Michigan State University School of Social Work, provider #1136, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. Michigan State University School of Social Work maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 6/14/2016 – 6/14/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits.
We are also an approved Michigan Social Work Continuing Education Collaborative Provider (provider #0001) for all programs through August 2018.
6. Is there additional information required to ensure receipt of CECHs?
When signing into the webinar room, please use your first and last name
. All webinar participants must have pre-registered individually
to receive the email with the documents required to receive credit. If you are viewing the webinar with another registered participant, please note that only the individual logged in will receive the link to the post-test, required to receive CECH’s. Participants that are registered but not logged in will need to email firstname.lastname@example.org
to request a link to the survey by the end of the day following the webinar.
7. What happens if I have technical issues during the Webinar?
If you experience technical issues prior to or during the Webinar, please contact MSU Distance Learning Services at (844) 678-6200. Please then contact us at email@example.com
. Refunds will not be made available for technical issues originating on the user’s end.
8. What happens if MSU Social Work encounters technical difficulties?
In the event of a technical problem originating from the MSU School of Social Work that interferes with the audio feed causing an inability to deliver the content, MSU will issue a full refund for all paying registrants. Every attempt will be made to reschedule the event.
9. How do I request an accommodation?
Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services, and activities. Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by writing the request on the registration form, or including the request when registering online, or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
; be sure to include “Accommodations request”
in the subject line. You can also call 517-353-3060 at least one week prior to the program start date. Requests received after this date will be honored whenever possible.
10. If I need to cancel, can I get a refund?
If you cancel by faxing or mailing in a Refund Request Form at least one week prior to the course start date, you will receive a refund less a 20% administrative fee. Cancellations and requests for refunds received after this time are not eligible for a refund. In the event the MSU School of Social Work cancels an event, you will receive a FULL refund.
1. Will my state licensing board approve online courses as an approved format for obtaining continuing education credits?
Michigan State University School of Social Work, an accredited social work education program, is authorized by the Michigan Licensure Law Administrative Rule 338.2965 to award Michigan social work continuing education contact hours. We are also an approved Michigan Social Work Continuing Education Collaborative Provider (provider #0001) for all programs through August 2019, renewed annually.
If you are looking for information specific to Michigan, please visit: http://michigan.gov/lara.
2. How many times can I access or view the material for the course?
You have unlimited access to the course material and may view it as many times as you wish, during the time the course is offered. We are unable to offer additional CECHs for extra time you spend with the course material. Once you submit a passing post-test, you will receive the advertised CECHs for the course.
3. What score do I need to pass?
A score of 75% or higher is required to pass each course. How many times can I take the post-test? You may retake the post test two times for each course. Your score will be made available to you once you submit your post-test answers.
4. What are the post-tests like?
The post-tests are multiple choice and true/false questions. There are ten questions for the first CECH and five questions for each additional CECH. For example, a 1-CECH course would have ten questions.
5. How do I obtain my certificate?
Your certificate will be mailed to you within 30 days pending you pass the post test with 75% accuracy.
For questions about program content, concerns, or grievances, please contact us during regular business hours at (517) 353-3060 or via email: swkce2msu.edu For technical assistance, 24 hours a day, call (517) 355-2345 or toll-free: 800-500-1554 (North America and Hawaii).
Available 24 hours a day with technical support, contact MSU Distance Learning Services.
Your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you are unhappy about an experience in one of our programs, please let us know by email@example.com or at 517-353-3060 or complete a Feedback Form.
Please visit our Trauma Certificate FAQs.