School Social Work Programs at MSU
This page is for you if you answer "yes" to:
- I am currently an MSW student at Michigan State University
- I wish to earn temporary approval (310) for School Social Work
- I do not wish to earn the Certificate in School Social Work
The Certificate Program in School Social Work is NOT required for students who wish to work as a School Social Worker upon graduation from the MSU MSW program. Consult with your advisor to determine if completion of these required classes is a good choice for you.
- Satisfactory completion of the MSW degree from Michigan State University
- Satisfactory completion of the following courses:
- SW 873: Social Work in Educational Settings
- SW 874: Assessment and Testing in School Social Work
- SW 875: School Social Work Intervention: Children with Special Needs
- Satisfactory completion of the appropriate Field Education requirement
- 500 field hours in the area of children/youth/families
- The Certificate program has additional requirements.
MSW graduates can take these three required courses through MSU Social Work Continuing Education but if you choose this route you will not earn university credit for them. You would, however, need to get the proper supervised social work practicum experience through your degree program. Current MSW students are not eligible to take the courses through Continuing Education.
Upon completion of these requirements, an application for university recommendation for form 310 Recommendation for Temporary Approval Request Form must be completed. Download application form HERE.
Return to top of page