Apply to the MSW Program
Available: September 1; Deadline: January 10
International applicants must review the additional requirements on the International Admissions page.
- On the Other Information page, in the Major Preference dropdown, select the code for one of the following program options:
- Regular: 4493 (Clinical) or 7724 (OCL)
- Regular programs all start Fall semester except Statewide Blended which starts Summer semester.
- Advanced Standing: 4502 (Clinical) or 7723 (OCL)
- All Advanced Standing programs start Summer semester
- Please note that the code 4746 is intended for applications to our PhD program and should not be used for any MSW applications.
- To secure a spot in our MSW program, it is critical to select the correct semester and Major Code during this step. No MSW programs begin in the Spring semester.
- For questions requiring short answers, please limit your response to approximately 300 words and 600 words each for the personal and academic statements
- After saving, you will receive your Applicant ID by email from the Office of Admissions; use this, along with the password you created, to access your saved application
- Prior to submitting your application, you may save and revise it as often as you wish.
- Once you have submitted your application and paid the fee, you will no longer be able to edit your application.
- The account portal is where you upload files, request recommenders, and view your application status
- There is no way to access your application from the account portal; you must visit the separate application site
Step 4: Complete and upload the following files in the account portal:
- Liberal Arts Form
- Criminal Background Statement of Understanding (All applicants must submit this form but if you answered Yes regarding criminal offense history or academic dishonesty, also upload a letter of explanation as a Supplemental Application)
- Statewide Blended Regular Program applicants only: Regular Additional Requirements Form (upload as a Supplemental Application)
- Statewide Blended Advanced Standing applicants only: Advanced Standing Additional Requirements Form (upload as a Supplemental Application)
- You do not need to upload your Personal Statement or Academic Statement, since you already entered these directly into your application
- In the Letters of Recommendation section of the account portal, click Register Recommender and follow the instructions
- Download the letter of recommendation instructions and share with each of your three recommenders
- Your recommenders must follow the instructions they are sent; hard copies of letters will not be accepted
- All letters of recommendation should be from a professional standpoint reflecting prior academic or work experience (paid or volunteer). Advanced Standing applicants must have one letter coming from their prior field practicum supervisor.
Step 6: Request an official copy of your transcripts, if required
- An 'official copy' is one that is generated by the institution, placed in a sealed envelope and submitted by the institution; unofficial copies submitted by the applicant will not be accepted
- If you have earned 60+ credits from MSU, your transcripts are not required
- If you received less than 60 credits from your degree-granting institution (MSU or otherwise), an official copy of your transcripts from previous institution(s) must be submitted to account for your last 60 credits
- If your degree-granting institution is located in China, verification of your transcripts from the China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC) must also be sent
- Official transcripts should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed to:
Step 8: Log in to the account portal regularly to view your application status and read any application-related e-messages
School of Social Work
655 Auditorium Road
239 Baker Hall
East Lansing, MI 48824